Strength - Tennis Conditioning
World-class fitness competitor Lisa Reed offers insight into training techniques used in coaching Monica Seles to new levels of conditioning. To complement a 20-minute Precor EFX ® Elliptical Fitness Crosstrainer™ aerobic workout, Lisa details a weight resistance training program that will help develop top performance on the court.
This tennis-specific weight resistance program is a good complement to the aerobic workout. Alternate your aerobic and weight resistance training programs.
Precor Machine:Any Precor strength training system and handheld weights
Time: Approximately 45 minutes
Machine: Precor EFX
Time: 10 minutes
Note: Remember, this segment is a warm-up. Determine your appropriate intensity level.
Stretch: Perform a full body stretch, emphasizing the arms, shoulders, hamstrings, and quads.
Squat/Leg Press: 2 sets of 12 repetitions (2x12)
Walking Lunges: 2x12
Bench Press: 2x12
Seated Row: 2x12
Front Shoulder Raises: 1x12
Side Shoulder Raises: 1x12
Rear Shoulder Raise: 1x12
Bicep Hammer Curls: 2x12
Tricep extension: 2x12
Superman: 2x20 (The superman exercise is executed by lying on your stomach and raising both arms and legs as high as you can, off the floor, comfortably.)
Abdominal: 2x20 (Crunches, twists, and leg raises.)
Stretch: Again perform a full body stretch highlighting the arms, shoulders, hamstrings and quads.
Cool Down and Re-hydrate.
About Lisa Reed:
- Monica Seles' strength and conditioning coach, 2001
- Master’s Degree, Exercise Physiology, Illinois State University
- Bachelor’s Degree, Exercise Science, Radford University
- 2000 NPC USA Nationals winner
- 2000 World Tri-Fitness Challenge winner
- CSCS Certified Strength and Conditioning specialist
- USAW United States Weightlifting club coach certified
- First female named as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for US Naval Academy
- Strength coach for University of Florida volleyball, gymnastics, diving, tennis, and women's track and field teams
For more information, visit www.lisareedfitness.com