You are here
The Perfect Pair: Strength and cardio for a complete workout
Most people are aware of the benefits of cardio workouts for both performance and their overall health. Often people overlook the benefits of a balanced program that also includes strength training.
If your goal is to get a leaner body or to change your shape, strength workouts are extremely effective. Of course your diet plays a significant role along with cardio sessions, but strength training will do more than make you stronger.
- Muscles burns calories, so the more you have, the more calories you'll burn
- Strength, or weight bearing, workouts also help strengthen bones
- Increase muscular endurance
- Help you avoid injuries
- Increase confidence and self-esteem
- Improve coordination and balance
Special note to women:
Many of you miss out on the bone-building benefits of strength workouts due to the fear that you will “bulk up.” Relax. Most women’s hormone composition will keep them from dramatically increasing muscle size.